09 March 2007
TO DO AND NOT TO DO.
Sometimes back in last year November, I have read a magazine in Esplanade Library. It's an ART magazine, so made me really interested with its design and everything. Saw the following article named "TO DO AND NOT TO DO." and I thought it was quite a breeze. Haha. Just to share with all the friends who love theatre.
DISCLAIMER: ONLY FOR THEATREGOER. IF YOU ARE NOT. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.
To everything there is a reason, and a time for every purpose under heaven – a time to shush up, a time to applaud wildly; a time to make calls a time to switch that mobile off; a time to eat Twisties, a time to eat nothing at all. Kate Mulvany proposes the following New Year’s resolutions for the theatrically inclined. Consider them stage directions.
For Actors1. I will attend every new theatre co-op's trivia fundraiser, no matter how shady the backstreet pub venue, no matter how inconvenient the inevitable Monday night timeslot.
2. I will wear kneepads at rehearsal.
3. I will accept that some people really do hate it when I say "Macbeth" or whistle inside a theatre.
4. I will stop taking all the best biscuits at teabreak during rehearsals.
5. I will turn my phone off during rehearsals (I still owe too many slabs of beer from last year).
6. I will stop pulling faces from the wings at actors performing their death scenes.
7. I will understand the concept that, yes, I do take my character on a little, and will therefore cease challenging my boyfriend to swordfights and such when I come home from work.
8. I will stop calling acting "work". It is not work. It's a joy.
I will support theatre always.
For Writers1. I will believe that my show will go on, even when funding falls through.
2. I will not write rubbish just to make a deadline – it’s OK to ask for a little more time.
3. I will read more plays by new playwrights.
4. I will not laugh loudly and preemptively at my own opening-night witticisms.
5. I will occasionally turn my phone on (solitude is a wonderful thing, but hermetic isolation can be less than healthy).
6. I will dispatch all reviewers with large notebooks and scratchy pens to the very back row.
7. I will continue to review reviewers.
8. I will get out and learn more about everything.
9. I will pronounce that “t” in “writer” so people stop thinking 10. I’m a cyclist or jockey.
11. I will love my craft, even if there are more pages in my bill drawer than my work folder.
12. I will support theatre always.
For Audiences1. I will not slowly unwrap a boiled sweet during the show.
2. I will appreciate the sound, lighting, design and stage management.
3. I will continue to sneak wine into long shows without intervals BUT
(i) I promise to hold onto the empty glass and
(ii) I agree to pay for the consequences by crossing my legs tightly instead of skulking out to the toilet five minutes before the curtain falls.
4. I will turn my phone off during performances (I’m still blushing from the call during Hamlet’s soliloquy last year).
5. I will under no circumstances vacate the theatre to beat the traffic before the actors have taken their final bow.
6. I will buy my own program.
7. I will restrict my heckling to stand-up comedy and puppet shows.
8. I will stop saying, “One theatre show a year for me – it’s such an expensive night out!” Instead, I will subscribe to a smaller co-operative theatre companies which stage wonderful new Australian works for a quarter of the price.
9. I will support theatre always.
DISCLAIMER: IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND IN THE ABOVE ARTICLE, PLEASE CONSULT ANY THEATREGOER, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU ROUGHLY WHAT THE ARTICLE MEANS.
***I AM not a THEATREGOER.***
Something extra: Today is the second Day of 黄城夜韵 Bump-In.
Something even more extra: Have 黄城人 rigged, focused, plotted the lx? How about Follow Spot? Tested? Have 黄城人 checked, tested the Speakers and microphones? Have 黄城人 had a REAL
(adj. a rehearsal is a REAL full-dress rehearsal when you have literally everything up and ready) Full-Dress Rehearsal? Shall not ask le. Too many questions in mind le.
Break a leg.
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS BY "BREAK A LEG", THEN JUST GO AND BREAK YOUR LEG. IT WILL BRING YOU LUCK IN THEATRE IF YOU DO SO.
DianJun, the Butterfly, amourized @ 00:00
+++
我爱你
爱疯了